Sunday, April 3, 2011

Vein Popper #71 - Measure once, cut twice... throw away

I’ve become a pretty handy guy over the years necessitated by the fact that despite my best intentions, everything I purchase seems to be a “fixer-upper”. This goes from the smallest devices such as outlets (I’ve electrocuted myself so many times I’ve got patches on my body the hair won’t grow anymore) to major projects such as pergola’s, fences and even new water piping. Over that time, you would think I would learn enough lessons that I would become somewhat decent at “do-it-yourself” projects. Sadly, this has not been the case. I have a real knack of underestimating the time it will take to do a project mainly because any and all foreseeable things that can go wrong WILL go wrong (and some real doozy’s that AREN’T foreseeable because they are so ludicrous, it’s a mathematically certainty it can’t happen!). Murphy’s law is actually my family credo!

The situation has become a Vein Popper because I have yet to take on a project, no matter the size, that has not gone 100% to plan. Not the slightest one! It is so aggravating because the simplest task now requires hours a thought and pumping myself up! I know it has to be psychological. If it wasn’t, that would mean there is one sadistic bastard running the show and using me as the punch line to an awful joke that goes along the line “Lets see how much electricity we can pump into this shaved ape…”!

ADDENDUM:
To emphasize this Vein Popper, I just took down my Christmas Lights... Things were going good. I had just pulled down the last string, was coming down the ladder... and shattered an outside light with my elbow. It took me longer to clean up the bits of glass, remove the old bulb with pliers, then clean up the new shards of glass from the bulb removal then to take down the Christmas lights! Then when I came into the house to clean up, I blew a light bulb in the bathroom. UGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment